Monday, April 12, 2010

Happy Birthday!

To my son, on your 3rd birthday...

I watched you out the window tonight.  You were on the way back from walking your best friend home with your Dad.  You looked so grown up, so determined, so mature, I almost didn't recognize you.  It was at that moment, in that instant, I could actually feel my heart getting bigger with all the love I have for you. 

I looked at the clock a few times today, trying to recall the exact thing I was doing at those moments three years ago. I thought back to the first time the nurses put you in my arms -- the love was so instant and strong, it was if I had known you forever. I remember watching your Dad rock you that first night, falling in love with him all over again.  I recall with clarity the first moment I knew I would do anything for you.  With each passing day, those feelings only get stronger.  I didn't think it was possible. 

I love your curiosity, watching your head tilt and your eyes drift as you try to understand and learn something new.  I love your kind, sweet soul, always watching out for someone else, wanting desperately to understand their feelings.  I love your spirit and that little smile that keeps you out of trouble more times that you know.  I love your big blue eyes and that I can tell what you are thinking just by looking at them.  I love when we read a book and I feel your little hand rub mine.  I love hearing your voice say mommy or something new, that I haven't heard you say before.  I love when you laugh...sometimes I tickle you just to hear that addictive sound.  I love that your smile lights up a room.  I love watching you with your sister, seeing you protect her and teach her.

I love that you are mine. 

P.S.  We had an amazing time celebrating with you this weekend. I'm guessing by the nearly 36 hours of non-stop bike riding that our gift was a big hit!    

1 comment: