Saturday, February 27, 2010

What A Day

I've said it before...I have a bad habit of wishing my kids were older than they are.  I know I am going to read this after sending one of them to college and curse myself, wishing for just one more night.  Trust me, since I over analyze everything, I understand that I should be enjoying each and every moment, and I do.  It's just that the older M.D.B. gets, the more fun it is!

We had such a great day today.  He came with me to take the pup for her haircut and we hung out at Petco to see the turtles (WAY cheaper than the aquarium and free parking to boot).  We went to Comcast to exhange a broken cable box.  I had a moment of panic when I saw the LONG line...but I walked out bursting with pride since my little boy proceeded to use the time to entertain the rest of the people waiting in line.  Then, while AB and I took Lulu to her music class, my not-so-little-boy hung in the big kids room with Miss. Lauren, who I'm pretty sure is his first crush!  Topped off with a fight-free nap and a pizza dinner...we just had a perfect day! 

So yeah, the day was nothing special or out of the ordinary, but I think that's what made it so great. It was just errands, but I can remember -- not too long ago -- that the thought of bringing kids on errands would make me cringe.  But, today was just fun.  I loved chatting with him in the car (like, an actual two way conversation), watching him take in new things, seeing him interact with other people and feeling him grab for my hand as we neared the parking lot, just as I have instructed him to since he could take his first steps.

So, there really is part of me that wants my baby girl to stay a baby forever, but I also long for the future.  I can't wait to hear what her voice is going to sound like, when she says "mommy."  I long for the days of getting her pigtails just right (if she EVER gets hair, that is!!) and watching her watch turtles swimming in a tank in awe.

But, I know they are going to wake up tomorrow one day older.  Closer to the days of me not being allowed to talk because I'm embarrassing and having to pry them out of bed in the morning for school.  I guess since I know how much fun the future will bring...I will be patient and make it my priority to be present in the moment and just cherish it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment