Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Welcome to My World

I guess I never thought it would happen to me.  I heard stories from moms, saying they actually couldn't remember what their life was like before they had kids.  At the time, I remember thinking...could life really change that much?  Yeah, it does and yeah, I don't really remember what it was like not to have kids.  But, what I do remember, is what it was like to only have one!  I remember thinking how hard my days/nights were, how exhausting it was to come home from work for my "night" job, how leaving the house was next to impossible and if I was EVER going to get my precious 10 hours of sleep a night again...and WHAM, number 2 was born!  Now, I laugh, because those days were a breeze!


My kids are 22 months apart.  That wasn't exactly the plan, but I wouldn't change it for the world. 


But, as I sprinted to my son's room this morning at 5:04 a.m. to stop him from screaming my name at the top of his lungs so he wouldn't wake the baby all while trying to convince him to go back to sleep by showing him it was still dark outside (didn't work, by the way) and finally getting him settled into our bed watching Handy Manny...I started to drift off to sleep and was slammed back to reality with the coos of the little one waking for the day.  And, as I sat at the kitchen counter watching my son dump the entire box of Cascadian Farms Purely O's on the counter, while spooning the pureed pears into Lulu Belle's mouth AND trying to hold my breast pump in place with my thigh...I was reminded how boring life used to be! 


So yeah, there is a lot to motherhood that the books didn't prepare me for.  But, they also didn't prepare me for the heartwarming, nothing-feels-this-good sensation I felt when my little baby girl waved goodbye to me for the first time today as I was leaving for work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment